The Duplicate Contact Manager (v0.3) extension for Mozilla Thunderbird 1 and 2 is out now.
You can download the add-on from the following Mozilla Add-On directory page.
While you’re there, feel free to rate.
After installing the extension, open your Thunderbird address book and find the new menu item “Duplicates” (or in german: “Dubletten”). The rest should speak for itself.
The complete issue tracking takes place on our Google Code site.
- Some users reported that the statistics that are displayed after processing the address book are incorrect. E.g., when 3 duplicates where removed, “33″ is displayed. I cannot reproduce that problem. If you recognize this problem, your feedback (with details about the OS/architecture you use) is highly welcome.
- Two users reported that an exception appeared while using the extension. If you get an exception, please send me a screenshot of it or the text contained in the exception. Thanks!
Please add new bugs or additional information to known bugs via Google Code. Thanks!
- Allow for more than 1000 contacts to be handled.
- Let the user decide beforehand whether or not to delete exact duplicates automatically.
- When treating several address books, optionally find and handle duplicates across address books.
- Keyboard interaction: Use arrow keys (left, right) for selecting of contacts, Space and Enter for “Apply and Continue”.
- Be able to to save both entries of a duplicate pair, not just th eleft OR right one.
- Be able to edit all contact fields, not only the ones that already carry data.
- Instead of only showing two similar contacts as a duplicate, show all that are the same/similar.
(While I understand why people ask for this, it’s really a big challenge to provide this — both in terms of the algorithm as well as in terms of a user interface. This won’t happen any time soon.)
- Prevent Thunderbird from creating duplicate entries in address books.
You can find the complete user-generated wishlist on the Wiki page at our Google Code site.
- From version 0.2 to 0.3
- made it work with Thunderbird 2
- From version 0.1 to 0.2
- now allows you to select which address book to process.
- exact duplicates won’t be deleted automatically.
- german localization introduced